This site was new. It’s not so new now but, it’s been painful to watch it evolve. Things have since been chopped and changed. We’ve moved servers. We’ve built up and then, torn down stacks. Looked at this and looked at that, optimised this and optimised that and, all this in the hope of providing you, dear reader, with an elegant and edifying user experience.
To develop and create this site, we currently deploy the following services and tools:
- The front end of this website is based on The7, a photo theme for WordPress, by Dream-Theme.
- The website’s back end operations and functions are provided by WordPress.
- Hosting services are provided by Digital Ocean Inc., a USA based provider of premium Internet Services. They have a real good deal going whereby, if you use my referral code, you get a $50 credit to initially try out their services. If you like what they have going, obviously you’ll stay around for longer. Also, Digital Ocean provides some of the better documentation and “how to’s” compared to many of the other hosting companies offering similar services out there – and, to date, I’ve tried quite a few. That Digital Ocean referral link
- Image compression is provided by Kraken.io. Kraken does what it is supposed to do and does a very fine job at that. I get compression levels of up to 50% and all this with little if any visible loss in image quality. Give them a try. Use this referral link as an introduction to their services – referral link.
- The font featured in the watermark appearing on many of the images featured in our picture galleries and on-line web store is Xtreem 2. Usage comes courtesy of Måns Grebäck. Look him up, he has some interesting working going on there.
As they say, “Great work is seldom created by chance”. Nor is “great work” created alone or in the dark, so to speak. The development of this particular web site has been long in the making – now more than 18 months in fact. In the process, there have been many who have helped in their way along this path. I would like to thank all those who have participated directly in the making and development of this website and also to all those countless others who are forever posting solutions, suggestions and/or continually working on updates to many of the applications and services deployed here – a big THANK YOU to all.